Saturday, August 6, 2011

Amma and swimming

Just today I was having a long chat about learning swimming with a friend. I remembered days when amma would drag me to the pool- first the Sadashivnagar pool to get rid of fear of water and next to Windsor Manor to learn the art . Of course I will never forget coach Sidappa of the former or Aravaind uncle of the latter . Its strange how I don't remember faces of so many from childhood but Sidappa's face is so clear in my mind.
Coming to the point, I can't help but cry when I think of all the trouble I gave amma to not learn swimming and the extent to which she went , to ensure that I did ! Getting lunch to school, waiting below the tree- all this when Muthanna was just about a year old- feeding me the lunch(I was a very slow eater). Then walking me down to the pool so that some amount of warm up happens before the swim. Changing outside so that time is not wasted in the crowded dressing room. And then plunge! I would shout my heart out to ever one arnd to rescue me ! Ashwini akka. Yapaa. And mum would watch all this . Give words of gyan. Put me in a auto and get back home to feed oats. Champion oats. Which I found disgusting . Again the feeding session would start.
Oh amma, I would not take so much interest in my own life even!

No comments:

Post a Comment