Sunday, July 17, 2011

Kodagu - will it stay this way; the way I knew it 10 years ago?

I often worry about emigration in Kodagu. What will happen to our estates, oranges, pepper and honey? Merry people at short and sweet kodava weddings? Guns and men.
As we move out, we change and evolve into our surroundings. Definitely losing a lot of our thinking and mindset to the cultural curry elsewhere . Especially the coorgs ,I opine are a little too adaptive for our own bad (of course , we fall behind the swalpa adjust madi kannadigas).
Coming back to what happened to my of the top of my head concern for Kodagu. Our goddess and Iguathappa have indeed blessed this land . As I read about the little town of Valloria in Italy which was faced by a similar crisis but over came it by attracting tourists, I was relieved. Kodagu, has achieved the same , of course without much help unlike in the case of Valloria where a certain Mr.Balestra was involved in initiating the tourism queue to maintain the basic infrastructure in the town.
Also, my fears loomed large over a mini polluted Ooty like scene in Kodagu. But the recent anti plastic campaign has quelled those fears .
I am blessed to have a village to go back to unlike so many.

Igguthappa bless us